Finding tips for narcolepsy management takes a lot of searching and scouring through blogs, Facebook groups, Reddit, and other online support groups. My goal is to create a place where you can get the information you need in one place!
Then you can use your social media for building connections and finding your community! So here are some tips for narcolepsy management that you may or may not have seen before.
I am not a doctor or a medical professional. I have 25 years of experience living with narcolepsy, but I will not advise anyone to start or stop a medication. First and foremost, you should follow the instructions given to you by your doctor, who IS a medical professional.
If you feel your doctor is not giving you the support you need, please seek a second opinion or a third. You must advocate for yourself.
I use natural remedies for narcolepsy
In my case, after more than 15 years of trial and error, I choose not to see a physician. However, I am not a proponent of the lifestyle and I won’t push for anyone to be medication free. For me, it was about the life I want to live traveling that motivated me to pursue natural narcolepsy management.
I know this isn’t a comprehensive list of EVERYTHING someone might want to try, so please leave a comment below if you have something I should add.
Mindset changes for Narcolepsy Management
- Determine if you are an empath and if you are, learn how to protect your energy.
- Practice self-compassion and self-love.
- Cut negative people out of your life.
- Reduce negative energy in your surroundings.
- Question your own beliefs about yourself and who you are.
- Give yourself permission to rest.
- Practice gratitude.
- Keep an open mind and a positive mindset.
- Work on acceptance.
- Increase your self-awareness.
- Manage stress!
Find Your Narcolepsy Community
- Find a community.
- Connect with PWNs in Facebook groups or on Instagram but focus on positive influences.
- Educate yourself about options and ask for accommodations at school or work.
- Talk about narcolepsy with friends and family, build a support system.
- Let go of fear.
- Speak up in any situation that you feel calls for it.
Lifestyle Changes for Narcolepsy Management
Sleep Time Lifestyle Changes
- Take short naps.
- Relax before bed.
- Maintain a regular sleep schedule.
- Try not to snooze your alarm.
- Use binaural beats.
- Practice meditation before sleeping.
- Learn lucid dreaming.
- Yoga Nidra.
Awake Time Lifestyle Changes
- Accept help!
- Use light exposure.
- Exercise daily.
- Never stop learning.
- Practice cold therapy in the shower.
Diet and/or Supplements for Narcolepsy Management
- Stay hydrated!
- Follow your doctors’ recommended regimens to treat narcolepsy.
- Avoid large heavy meals right before bedtime.
- Avoid caffeine, alcohol, and smoking before bed.
- Practice Intermittent Fasting.
- Try supplements such as LC-M, Magnesium, MCT Oil, Multivitamins, etc.
- Change your diet.
- Eliminate food allergies.
One Step At a Time
Please do not try to change everything at once. It will be too overwhelming. Look at the list and see what you might already be doing. Evaluate how and why it works for you. That may lead you to be drawn to another option that you haven’t considered. Start with small steps.
As humans, we are resistant to change. You have conditioned yourself to stay where you are. But since you created these habits, you can also change them. Your mind is powerful, so set the intention and follow-through. If you need help with a change process, set up a free coaching call and we can discuss ways to move toward your goal!
In the future, I hope to add more links and resources to this list of natural remedies for narcolepsy. So if you have recommendations, please comment below and I will continue to add.
*This is a simplified rewrite of a post from February with the goal of being decluttered and easier to find what you are looking for.