I have never found a comprehensive list of supplements for narcolepsy, so I’m creating one here. All changes to medications including over-the-counter supplements should be discussed with your doctor. Even some natural supplements can have interactions with medications so please do not take this for granted.
While not specifically for narcolepsy, there are many different supplements that seem to help people with narcolepsy. It’s apparent that since our bodies don’t get the restorative sleep that we need, they tend to have other issues. Some of us have difficulty absorbing vitamins naturally, especially if our gut health is out of whack. So there are a variety of vitamin supplements that may help with overall health.
In addition, there are some things that have been shown to be useful for mental clarity, which is often an issue for people with narcolepsy. Here are some suggestions I have heard people using as “supplements for narcolepsy”.
Of course, it is better to get as many vitamins as possible from food instead of pills. I have added a few here, but feel free to do your own research and suggest to me what works best for you!
Supplements for Narcolepsy that I Have Tried
- Magnesium Supplements – make sure you research the ones that are easiest to absorb. I use chewable mostly, the coated pills do nothing for me personally. You can also increase your intake of leafy greens, cashews, and avocados to name a few.
- Calcium to help aid absorption of magnesium
- Vitamin C complex (including bioflavonoids)
- MCT oil for mental clarity – coconut oil can also work if this is hard to come by.
- Vitamin D – especially from the sun
- Vitamin E
- L Citrulline Malate for overall symptom improvement (join a Facebook group for information here)
- B Complex Vitamins – all of them not just the common ones like B-6 and B-12. This would take a huge variety of food to cover all but my favorites are almonds and mushrooms.
- Omega-3s for brain health – I use flaxseed.
- Probiotics (or eat fermented food) for gut health with medication especially – I make homemade yogurt
What I have heard about but not tried
- THC for better sleep
- CBD for better sleep and controlling nightmares
- Choline as a stimulant
- Maca for energy and thyroid
- Quercetin to help control histamines
If you would like to add more or share your experience using any of these to improve your narcolepsy symptoms, I would love to hear from you! Please comment or use the contact form to send me a message!
The Recipie to Feel Better
I don’t find that there is any ONE thing that has drastically improved my symptoms of narcolepsy, but adding a lot of little things together has helped me to get my quality of life back. This includes things like working on my mindset and emotions, changing my lifestyle, and improving my diet. Now I can be grateful that narcolepsy has led me to put so much into creating a great life for myself. Supplements for narcolepsy are a very small fraction of that equation, but I hope you are on the journey to finding what works for you.
If you are feeling open-minded, check out my post about What Causes Narcolepsy- A Natural Theory.
- Letting Go of Old Versions of Me
- What to Do When You Wake Up Tired
- Is Narcolepsy Treatable Without Medication
- 5 Things I Love About Germany
- Adjusting to the end of Daylight Savings Time
Hello, I am Kayla, the creator of Nomad Life. This website is designed to help you empower yourself to feel amazing and enjoy your life to the fullest. While I started this site as a way to help other people with Narcolepsy, my mission has expanded and I prefer not to separate my sleepy friends from the rest of the world. We are all here on Earth for a purpose, and we all can benefit from new ideas, perspectives, and sharing our passions!
To stay in touch, find me on my social media below, or reach out to me at email@example.com.
Love and light to you all! <3