I have never found a comprehensive list of supplements for narcolepsy, so I’m attempting to create one here. All changes to medications including over-the-counter supplements should be discussed with your doctor. Even some natural supplements can have interactions with medications so please do not take this for granted.
While not specifically for narcolepsy, there are many different supplements that seem to help people with narcolepsy. It’s apparent that since our bodies don’t get the restorative sleep that we need, they tend to have other issues. Some of us have difficulty absorbing vitamins naturally, especially if our gut health is out of whack. So there are a variety of vitamin supplements that may help with overall health.
In addition, there are some things that have been shown to be useful for mental clarity, which is often an issue for people with narcolepsy. Here are some suggestions I have heard people using as “supplements for narcolepsy”.
Of course, it is better to get as many vitamins as possible from food instead of pills. I have added a few here, but feel free to do your own research and suggest to me what works best for you!
- Magnesium Supplements – make sure you research the ones that are easiest to absorb. I use chewable mostly, the coated pills do nothing for me personally. You can also increase your intake of leafy greens, cashews, and avocados to name a few.
- Calcium to help aid absorption of magnesium
- Vitamin C complex (including bioflavonoids)
- MCT oil for mental clarity – coconut oil can also work if this is hard to come by.
- Vitamin D – especially from the sun
- Vitamin E
- L Citrulline Malate for overall symptom improvement (join a Facebook group for information here)
- B Complex Vitamins – all of them not just the common ones like B-6 and B-12. This would take a huge variety of food to cover all but my favorites are almonds and mushrooms.
- Omega-3s for brain health – I use flaxseed.
- Nicotine as a stimulant
- THC for better sleep
- CBD for better sleep and controlling nightmares
- Choline as a stimulant
- Maca for energy and thyroid
- Quercetin to help control histamines
- Probiotics (or eat fermented food) for gut health with medication especially – I make homemade yogurt
If you would like to add more or share your experience using any of these to improve your narcolepsy symptoms, I would love to hear from you! Please comment or use the contact form to send me a message!
If you are feeling open-minded, check out my post about What Causes Narcolepsy- A Natural Theory.