I have never found a comprehensive list of supplements for narcolepsy, so I’m attempting to create one here. All changes to medications including over the counter supplements should be discussed with your doctor. Even some natural supplements can have interactions with medications so please do not take this for granted.
While not specifically for narcolepsy, there are many different supplements that seem to help people with narcolepsy. It’s apparent that since our bodies don’t get the restorative sleep that we need, they tend to have other issues. Some of us have difficulty absorbing vitamins naturally. So there are a variety of vitamin supplements that may help with overall health.
In addition, there are some things that have been shown to be useful for mental clarity, which is often an issue for people with narcolepsy. Here are some suggestions I have heard people using as “supplements for narcolepsy”.
- Magnesium Supplements (usually with Calcium to aid absorption)
- Vitamin C complex (including bioflavonoids)
- MCT oil for mental clarity
- Vitamin D and E
- L Citrulline Malate for overall symptom improvement (join a Facebook group for information here)
- Calcium to help absorb Magnesium
- B Complex Vitamins
- Omega-3s for brain health
- Nicotine as a stimulant
- THC for better sleep
- CBD for better sleep and controlling nightmares
- Choline as a stimulant
- Maca for energy and thyroid
- Quercetin to help control histamines
- Probiotics (or eat fermented food) for gut health with medication especially
If you would like to add more or share your experience using any of these to improve your narcolepsy symptoms, I would love to hear from you! Please comment or use the contact form to send me a message!