Maybe at this point you are thinking about trying the keto diet out for yourself. You should be feeling positive about your future and believe you are ready to take the plunge. If so, that’s great! Go for it! If you are a bit more hesitant, here is my advice.
- Start with sugar. Eliminate sugar from your diet. First the big stuff, like sugary beverages and sugar filled deserts. Later you can start reading labels and finding there is sugar hidden in more things than you thought.
- Increase your water intake. For every sugary drink you would have consumed, have at least 24 ounces of water.
- Begin removing carbohydrates, but don’t do it overnight unless you are prepared to replace them with lots of fats! Just cut down on the bread you eat. Cut out things like rice and other starches. Try only eating carbs in the evening and see how your energy level increases throughout the day. Remember to eat lots of green vegetables.
- Start to track your food intake. Use an app like MyFitnessPal. In the beginning its helpful to weigh your food or measure it to get an idea of what you are really eating. Most of us have no idea what we are consuming. Over time, you will need to measure less and less and you get used to seeing the quantity of food you put on your plate and know the macro nutrients it contains.
- Continue to use positive affirmations and gratitude to keep your mental state ready for this big change you are about to make. Reassure yourself that you can do it, and you are worth it. You will do this and you will feel amazing!